Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Homebirth Story with lots of pics!


My birthing pool... and my dreadies. ha.
 Early active labor... not too bad yet. Gonzo(my chihuahua) came in to check on mommy. My hubbie held him up to see what was going on. :)
I decided to have a home birth before I ever got pregnant. I knew it was something I wanted to do. I am not a fan of hospitals or doctors. My son Sasha Rayne was due October 26th 2009, however he decided to bake a little longer and came November 9th 2009, just 2 days after my husband and I's 1 year anniversary. Being 2 weeks late, I would have had to go to the hospital if I didn't have him that night, so I had to drink castor oil to make my labor progress. That was no fun, but it did get me the home birth I wanted. I labored pretty hard for about 3 hours, and then entered the pushing stage for about 45 minutes before my son finally entered the world. My 2 wonderful midwifes were present, as well as my loving husband and my mother. My husband Darrel was amazing, feeding me apple slices and granola bars to keep my energy up. My midwife Jessica always reminding me to keep hydrated, and telling me I was doing great. It was tough stuff, but I don't regret it. It was an amazing experience. I had a water birth, and used the La Bassine Birthing Pool, which was great! The water helped so much with the contractions, they still hurt a lot, but it was so much better than a dry contraction. I would never birth without water!

My hubbie feeding my apple slices during active labor... you can see my face is winced some here...
As I labored my husband actually had to leave the room a couple times because he was crying for me. It's hard for our husbands to see us hurting and not be able to help. He and my mother actually went into the bathroom and hugged each other and cried together. It was a sweet bonding moment for them. As Sasha was descending I was able to feel his head coming down. I could feel the hair, and it was so exciting! It made the last part of my pushing a little easier knowing he was so close. As he began to crown I felt the well known Ring of Fire, and held off my pushing a bit to allow some stretching to take place. Then with another push the head was out. Another and pop, I delivered my son myself, and he was on my chest, clean and perfect. Because he was late, he had no vernix left on his skin. It was the most amazing moment of my life. I was flooded with relief and pure joy. Sasha was a healthy 9lb 8oz baby,  21 3/4 in long. Not small, and I didn't tear at all! I finally appreciated these child-bearing hips I've had since puberty. ha. 

Seconds after Sasha was born!!! His 1st feeding still in the birth pool. (please ignore my terrible double chin)
My hubbie weighing Sasha... a whopping 9lbs 8oz!
I love his little toes curled up in this one...
As for life as a parent, my hubbie and I have never been happier! I've always wanted a child, so this is my dream come true. God certainly blessed me with a safe delivery and a beautiful angel to keep me company during my postpartum healing. My hubbie was able to stay home from work the 1st week of Sasha's life, so I got breakfast in bed every morning, which then spoiled me very bad when I had to get up and do it for myself! I would definitely recommend a home birth to anyone that's expecting. 

Now some from Sasha's 1st week of life... sleeping in the carseat.
The cute way newborns hold their fingers... all jumbled.
The classic wrinkled newborn forehead... I love it... I miss it.
Sleepyhead...
 Sasha's favorite time... Titty Time!!! haha In the tub.
And another... I love the way they just look at you. Melts my heart every time. Still!
All bundled up in his wrap... and look at that face!
How can I not include a yawn?...
Our new family...
 6 days old...
1 week... Sasha's 1st bath. The ONLY one he ever didn't like!
About a week and a half old...
And again, a week and a half, the 3 of us together...
Thanks for reading my story... and looking at the beginnings of my sons life. He will be 1 in a month, and I still can't believe it. Time really does fly, esp when you're having fun!
And here's a quick one from today.
Much love.
~Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment